Upcycling clothes into rugs!

Upcycling clothes into rugs!

Monday, April 18, 2011

T-shirts into rugs

I have spent the last two days working on cutting up Jon's old t-shirts into 'yarn' in order to weave it into rugs. Luckily for me, he had a lot of bright orange, green and blue shirts that will be colorful and cheerful in their new incarnation as soft, durable rugs.
The best t-shirts for this project don't have a large area of rubbery imprints. Stains, rips, and tears, however, will probably not even show up once they're cut up.
Start at the bottom of the shirt and cut along the hem. I usually cut strips as wide as the knuckle on my thumb to the tip of my thumb. Handy measuring tool to have along! Once you've cut all the way around the hem, start spiraling up the shirt, keeping the strips as consistent as possible.
The fun part is, once you've begun cutting the strips, you can stretch the material a bit and it will roll up into a coil, looking sort of like yarn.
I definitely love to recycle clothes that otherwise would head to the landfill into something beautiful and useful. Just wait till I get to weaving with these beauties -- soft, durable, bright rugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment